A Tradition of Service for Over 125 Years
Comporium, known then as the Rock Hill Telephone Company, was founded in 1894 by John Anderson, John Cherry, and Andrew Smith. During the first year, the company installed 27 phone lines, most of them connecting the businesses and suppliers of the company’s founders. During the next two decades, Paul Workman and his aunt grew the company to 443 phones before ultimately selling the company to E.L. and Mary Sanders Barnes on Mar. 10, 1912.
Four generations later, the descendants of E.L. and Mary are still running what has now become Comporium, as the company enters its 125th year of business. During the past century, we have acquired an interest in five other independent telephone companies, growing to serve Fort Mill, Lancaster, Heath Springs, Great Falls, Brevard (N.C.) and the Midlands of South Carolina.